We go to a pediatrician's office that has at least 6 doctors there. Their waiting room is HUGE...Chris was bored and counted 76 chairs! When we arrived for our appointment, pretty much every seat was taken. When you figure that many kids were in infant carriers or in parent's laps, that's a bunch of sick kids. We had Noelle on our laps and I got the creepy-crawlies thinking of how many germs were probably circulating in there. I figured that if she wasn't too sick when we got there, she'd be sick by the time we left.
Anyway, our doctor checked her out, and found out that she had an ear infection in her right ear. She got a prescription for an antibiotic and we were out of there...at 6:25. Even though it was a pretty long wait, I was thankful that our doctor stayed late enough to see us. I'm sure his day seemed REALLY long. One of our friends said that the secretary told them they'd been seeing 300 kids a day for the last 3 weeks. Yikes.
That night was the worst. She was really cranky and cried in the night. She'd only stop when we were holding her. Normally Noelle isn't a "cuddly" baby and won't sleep when she's held, but she did that night. I felt so bad for her. Imagine how miserable it is to not even be able to blow your nose! Thankfully, once her medicine kicked in, she slept a lot and wasn't as cranky.
Now she's almost back to her normal happy self, as you can tell from this picture!
4 comments:
I'm so sorry for you guys!
I'm dreading the first time Tate gets sick. He sounds so pitiful just when he's hungry, I can't imagine how bad it will be when he's actually sick.
Which leads me to ask - how do you know when they have an ear infection? Tate was rubbing the side of his head, not really his ear, the other day and it got me worried.
We had him checked out - no ear infection, just a little conjestion.
Meanwhile, we certainly hope Noelle starts feeling better - for both your sake and hers!
W
Thanks! Noelle seems to be feeling a lot better.
I wish there was some easy way to tell if they have an ear infection. (And medicine you could give them that doesn't require an Rx.) I noticed her rub her ear and the side of her head like you described, but she also does that when she's tired. What finally made us go to the doctor was she was getting a fever. Then the next day, when she felt really bad, she would cry at EVERYTHING. And among our friends, Noelle has a reputation for not ever crying.
Unfortunately, it's just something they have to go through...but you do feel so sorry for them. Hopefully it will be a while before Tate joins the club.
I'm glad Noelle's feeling better. Joey has had probably 100 ear infections. (BTW, he rarely cried when he was sick, so the only way I could tell when he had one is that he would pause a couple of times while drinking his bottle rather than gulping the entire thing down without taking a breath!)
He got tubes last January, and did great until they fell out around Christmas. Then ... more ear infections. He's actually going in to have more tubes inserted, as well as his adnoids removed, on Friday morning.
I'm a little concerned that this time will be harder since he's old enough to be much more aware of what's going on around him. But, hopefully he'll be feeling better in a few days!
Poor Joey! Growing up, my brother was like that, too. I hope everything went well yesterday. We'll be praying for him to feel better soon!
Post a Comment