Monday, February 02, 2009

Something New

"Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

When asked, I usually say that Matthew 11:28-30 is my favorite passage of Scripture. I've probably said that ever since the summer of 1999 when God used those verses in my life. Since then, I've spent many times taking comfort from that passage. It was even read at our wedding.

Over the past six weeks since we lost Jeffrey, I've found myself going back to those 3 verses again. Normally, I'm comforted by Jesus' invitation for me to come. It's such an encouragement for me to know that He always wants me to bring my stuff to Him and that I don't have to deal with it by myself. I love the promise that I can exchange my yoke for His yoke and find rest. Those are all still true, and the Lord has strengthened me with those principles. However, during this trial God has opened my eyes to a new truth that I hadn't previously seen in these verses. Not only am I invited to come and find rest, I am instructed to learn from Him.

This trial has been difficult for both Sarah and me. We continue to need your prayers for God to comfort us as He heals our hearts. I also ask that you would also pray for us to learn as the Lord faithfully teaches us when we come to Him.

No comments: