Thursday, June 14, 2007

Any Tips?

Isn't this face sweet? Well, don't be fooled!

I had this theory that Noelle would eat pretty much anything as long as she could do it herself. She has loved eating the Gerber Puffs and some small pieces of bananas...she will stay entertained with them for a long time and won't let any drop on the floor! Anyway, she's now old enough to start the table food thing (although she still only has like 1/2 a tooth.) Our pediatrician told us just to give her stuff we eat. I've been putting it off for a while because 1) I'm scared of her choking and 2) we eat lots of dairy, which she can't have. This week, I thought we'd start making the transition.

Well, she's interested in the food, but as soon as she gets it to her mouth she makes a horrible face, sticks out her tongue, and lets the food drop off of it and onto her bib. It's really quite funny at first, but quickly gets old. I'm thinking, "This is the same child that would pick up ANYTHING off of the floor and eat it if we let her! What gives??"

Okay, all you experienced parents! I'd like some advice on this one! How'd you get your little ones to eat table food?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since Noelle doesn't have teeth yet, you might try chopping and mashing everything. Let her get used to the flavor first and the chewing later. They are all different and she will eat table food when she wants to. Good Luck!

Shannon said...

I'm by no means "experienced", but since my child is older (ha!)...

I have found that putting one food at a time on her tray helps. If there are too many choices, she is not as interested. Try different temperatures too. Mallory usually spits cold turkey out, but I warmed it up the other day and she ate it all!

I agree with Nancy too. I still break Mallory's stuff up and cut it up in small pieces and she's been on table food for a couple of months now.

Just some thoughts. Sorry, we aren't coming to Abilene this weekend! Boo! I'll let you know the next time we plan a trip though. It was great seeing you and Chris...we just missed that sweet girl!