Sunday, October 05, 2008

A preview of things to come

This afternoon Noelle asked me where her sandals were, and I told her that I thought they were in her room, though I wasn't really sure. She said that she was going to go look for them. She went down the hall and came back about 3 seconds later to inform me that they weren't there. She hadn't been gone long enough to even make it to her room, so I knew that she hadn't actually searched for them. Upon coming back to the living room she talked aloud to herself about wanting to find her sandals but didn't ask for my help. Then, about 3-5 minutes later, she informed me that she had to go to the bathroom. I had taken her about 45 minutes before, so it was a little soon for her to need to go again but certainly not out of the question. Besides, it's not a good idea to call a recently-potty-trained 2-year-old's bluff. So, I quickly got out of my chair and escorted Noelle down the hallway to the bathroom. As we were about to arrive at the bathroom, she asked, "Can you help me find my sandals?" I turned on the light to her bedroom to reveal the sandals in plain sight. Noelle was quite pleased. She quickly grabbed them and walked off to put them on. I told her that we needed to go to the bathroom first, but she informed me that she didn't need to go.

It's now been 30 minutes since this happened, and she still hasn't asked to go the bathroom. She never needed to go. All she really needed was 3-5 minutes to formulate a plan to get what she wanted.

I've officially been outsmarted by a 2-year-old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh... Wait 'til she finds out how gullible grandparents are! We're in trouble already!

Gram

Rebecca and Vic said...

Don't worry, I have already been outsmarted by my 1 year old...it usually involves Luke manipulating us into giving him more food! I am in big trouble down the road :-)