Friday, February 08, 2008

Why I Don't Do New Year's Resolutions

Not that many people know that I (Sarah) really don't like New Year's. Here is why: When did it get decided that January 1st would be the day you switch from one year to the next? Some of you history buffs out there might actually know the answer to this, but to me it seems kind of arbitrary. Why isn't it February 1st? Anyway, I also don't like New Year's resolutions. I guess instead of looking to the future for ways that will improve myself, I have a tendency to look back on the last year and see the ways that I haven't really changed or improved much. (Wow...am I a glass half empty person or what??) Here is an example from this year. I'm sure all of these things would have been on my resolution list:

1) Keep up with our blog more. As you can see 2 posts since January first is pretty lame.

2) Finally install our cabinet locks. I think I've been talking about doing this for a year. I only have 3 done. A couple of days ago, when I was doing dishes, Noelle got one of the cleaners out from underneath the sink and pretended it was a phone. It was totally funny and I was watching her the whole time, but I probably shouldn't let that become a habit.

3) Eat more healthy. That would mean I would have to give up my breakfast of champions...chocolatey marshmallow cereal and coffee with a significant amount of creamer. (I wonder if this explains why I have a sugar crash at about 10:00 in the morning.)

4) Get more organized. I'm actually doing pretty decent in this area, except for my closet...
and a few times during the day I wonder how all of these random things end up on the floor--blocks, tupperware, washcloth, rocking chair, children's shampoo, fake food, crayons:

It's not that I'm against setting goals. In fact I think goal setting is important and I really should work on all of the above. I guess I just like it being on my own timing, when I decide I'm ready...and that will never be on January 1st! Although, it looks like whether or not I'm ready, I should at least finish #2 above. Check back on our blog (in like 3 weeks) and see if I've actually accomplished that one. :-)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

hey Sarah, here's an FYI for ya: the Chinese New Year was yesterday! So it really depends on where you live as far as when the new year "really" starts. As for resolutions, I can't even do in one day what I planned that morning... much less an entire year. I'm not a resoluting type. I just like to have general goals, and then hope the God's grace covers the rest!! :) Noelle is adorable!

Chris and Sarah said...

Wow...how ironic! I knew the Chinese New Year was coming up, but didn't know it was yesterday. :-) I hope y'all are doing well!

Chris and Sarah said...

Sarah -

I appreciate you clarifying who wrote this post. I would not have wanted people to think that I eat a chocolatey marshmallow cereal. I am a mature adult. I eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

~ Chris